Last week, Motorola caught several users by surprise by announcing the list of devices that will receive update for Android 8.0 Oreo in the coming months. What drew attention was, more precisely, the absence of the fourth generation MotoG line, launched in 2016.
On Monday, however, the company changed the tone, and announced that at least the Moto G4 Plus will receive, yes, the upgrade to the latest version of Android. The company has updated its first statement on the subject, blaming “some errors in its marketing materials” for the confusion.
Motorola, which belongs to China’s Lenovo, did not explain what those “mistakes” are, but it is thought to be talking about a picture released last year in some countries. In the image in question , the company promised that the Moto G4 Plus would be upgraded to Android O, which at the time did not have the Oreo name yet.
Many users remembered this promise by criticizing the company for not updating the fourth-generation MotoG. Motorola, however, says it has never planned an update for the line. “It is our general practice for the MotoG family to receive a major update of the operating system per device, so it was not part of the original plans for Android O.”
“But it’s important to keep our promises,” Motorola added to its statement. “In addition to the update for Android N that he has already received, we will upgrade from Moto G4 Plus to Android O,” the company said. Because it is an “unplanned upgrade,” the Lenovo subsidiary said the update may take a while to arrive.
It is worth remembering that, of the fourth generation of MotoG, only the Moto G4 Plus will be updated. The “normal” Moto G4, a model that differs from not having a fingerprint reader, and the Moto G4 Play, cheaper version and smaller screen, remain outside the list of cell phones with guaranteed upgrade.